Luke Slater is an English electronic musician, DJ and record producer, who has concentrated on techno since the beginning of the 1990s.
Born in Reading and raised in Horley, Slater's early sound dalliances with his father's reel to reel tape recorder and his drumming stints led to work in local record shops, including Jelly Jam in Brighton. By 1988, Slater was immersed in the embryonic acid house scene, DJing in London's Heaven nightclub.
Slater began releasing original tracks under various monikers, and his single debut came in 1989 with "Momentary Vision". Releases followed on DJax as Clementine, on General Production Recordings as 7th Plain, and as Morganistic (with Alan Sage), and especially on Peacefrog Records, with nearly a dozen of releases as The X-Tront and as Planetary Assault Systems.
After releasing four albums on Peacefrog, he issued 1997's Freek Funk and Wireless two years later. His tracks "All Exhale" (2000) and "Nothing At All" (2002) reached #74 and #70 respectively in the UK Singles Chart. His first volume of the mix series Fear and Loathing appeared in 2001, on the React label. Alright on Top (2002) was an "album of songs" with vocals from Ricky Barrows and others featured on every track. The second volume of Fear and Loathing appeared in late 2004.
Slater has released a mix for the Fabric DJ-mix series, and has reinvented innumerable tracks in remixes from artists such as Depeche Mode and Ken Ishii to more recent remixes for Radial and Soul Designer.
In 2006, Slater set up his own label, Mote-Evolver, releasing limited 12" records and digital downloads through the Mote-Evolver and N.E.W.S. websites.
01. Planetary Assault Systems - Bell Blocker/Beauty In The Fear (Silent Servant/Black Dog) - Ostgut Ton
02. Truncate - Truncate 4 - Truncate
03. Shifted/Samuli Kemppi - Parallel Series 2 - Mote-Evolver
04. Phase - Binary Opposition - Token
05. Mr. Jones - Armory - Heavy Reel
06. Vince Watson - Interference - Tresor
07. DVS1 - Behind Lines - Klockworks
08. Developer - Archive 1 - Developer Archive
09. Dacido and Meta - Knockin on a Dark Room - Gynoid Audio
10. Blawan - Peaches (Coronation) - Clone Basement Series